Some of the measures, which have been implemented for effective control of water pollution are:
- Coke oven quenching- The waste water generated during quenching is taken to settling tanks. After settling, the water is reused for quenching the hot coke.
- Sinter plant- Use of blow-down water is used in sinter nodulising.
- Blast furnace- Dust laden waste water is treated in effluent treatment plants and the treated water is recycled back to the process to scrub blast furnace gas.
- Steel melting shop (SMS)- The waste water is taken to a settling tank and the outlet water of the tank is reused. The blow-down water is used in slag granulation.
- Rolling mill- Process waste water is skimmed for oil and scale and then recycled back to the plant. No wastewater is discharged.
- Direct reduced iron (DRI)- Cooling close-circuit effluent-recycling system has been installed. Waste water from the cooling section is taken to a hot water well and then to the cooling tower and the cold water well, from where it is recycled back into the process.
- Power plant- DM plant wastewater is treated in the neutralization pit. After treatment, the water is reused for wet ash handling system.
- Submerged arc furnace (SAF)- Waste water is reused for slag cooling and dust suppression.
- Sewage treatment plants (STP)- Sewage treatment plants have been installed across all the units. The treated water is 100% reused for horticulture and green cover.
- Garage, DG set and compressor houses- Oil separators have been provided. Clean water is further treated in the STP.
Rainwater harvesting structures have been constructed for ground water recharge in consultation with the water resource department across all units. Also, the surplus rainwater collected in the open pits is used as make up water during operations of the plant.