Water pollution is a major environmental concern today that adversely affects the surroundings, causing serious injury to the environment as well as human health. At JSPL, water pollution is controlled by adopting a range of stringent regulatory measures and monitoring processes. The company has attained ‘Zero Discharge’ status by adopting state-of-the-art technology for water treatment. As per the guidelines of CREP, a 4.3 – 4.9 m3 per T of long product is currently being used by JSPL.Through effective water conservation and reuse methods specific water consumption for long product and flat product is maintained within range of 4.2 – 5.3 which is much below the CREP guideline of MoEF.
Some of the measures, which have been implemented for effective control of water pollution, are as follows:
- Coke Oven Quenching: The waste water generated during quenching is taken to settling tanks. After settling, the water is reused for quenching the hote coke.
- Sinter plant: Blow-down water is used in sinter nodulizing.
- Blast furnace: Dust laden waste water is treated in effluent treatment plants and the treated water is recycled back to the process to scrub blast furnace gas.
- SMS: The waste water is taken to a settling tank and the outlet water of the tank is reused. The blow-down water is used in slag granulation.
- Rolling mill: Process waste water is skimmed for oil and scale and then recycled back to the plant. No wastewater is discharged.
- DRI: Cooling close-circuit effluent-recycling system has been installed. Waste water from the cooling section is taken to a hot water well and then to the cooling tower and the cold water well, from where it is recycled back into the process.
- Power Plant: DM plant wastewater is treated in the neutralization pit. After treatment, the water is reused for wet ash handling system.
- Submerged Arc Furnace: Waste water is reused for slag cooling and dust suppression.
- Sewage Treatment Plants (STP): Three sewage treatment plants (combined capacity 3050 KL/ day) have been installed. The treated water is 100% reused for horticulture and green cover.
- Garage, DG Set & Compressor Houses: Oil separators have been provided. Clean water is further treated in the STP.