At JSPL, a sustainable development model for ecological conservation is followed to benefit the environment and the community. To promote a green and clean environment, JSPL continuously implements the concept of Green Productivity and takes preventive measures in and around its various facilities. Conservation of natural resources and pollution control initiatives features as a part of its operation module. Due to the effective measures taken by the company, the consumption of various natural resources has reduced in the recent years.
Rainwater harvesting, mass tree plantation during monsoon is among regular eco-friendly efforts of the company. 11 surface reservoirs with a water storage capacity of 29 lakh cubic metres have already been constructed. A total number of 20 injection wells have also been built to harvest rainwater and replenish ground-water levels.
Tree plantation is integral to the environment management plan of the company and it has developed over 3 million plants with a survival rate of over 90% during the past 10 years. Mass tree plantation programmes are regularly organized in consultation with the forest department. Saplings are given to villagers free of cost. Significant work in other areas are also done for eco-conservation.
Apart from these programmes which form an important part of ecological conservation, other achievements of the company to promote the cause of a greener and cleaner environment include -
- 100 % effluent recycling to conserve water.
- Installation of flow meters in all make-up water lines for close monitoring to optimise water consumption.
- Use of waste material from the washery and the sponge iron unit as a fuel in waste heat recovery boilers to generate power.
- Use of cow dung and municipal waste for generation of bio gas and bio manure.
- Use of blast furnace waste gas in furnaces as fuel to conserve furnace oil.
- Periodic energy audits and implementation of energy conservation measures.
- Use of fly ash bricks for all construction works.
- Large-scale bio diversified afforestation and horticulture activities. Massive tree plantation drive undertaken.
- A botanical garden named Sanjeeveni Botanical Park is established where rare plants, foliage, cactus and herbal plants are being collected.
- Establishment of Sanjivani Nursery Taru Mitra Nursery, Vasundhara Nursery etc for in-house development rare and special flower species.
- A bio-diversity "Nature Park" with exotic birds.