Manufacturing India’s Longest Rails
Failure in railway tracks due to fracture of welded joints of rails is one of the largest causes of accidents due to derailments. Using long rails increase the sustainability of railway infrastructure and mitigate accidents and loss of life.
For this reason JSPL has innovated to manufacture the longest rails in India. The country’s longest rail length of 121 metres is being rolled at JSPL’s Raigarh manufacturing plant site. In the plant site itself these rails can be further welded together to create 484 meter long rails that are then transported to the rail track location.
Further strict chemical composition control and reduction of dissolved gases to very low ppm levels produces superior quality steel of Head Hardened Grade (Grade 1080) suitable for the rolling of our rail tracks.
Some additional advantages of longer rail lengths:
Reduces the number of welding points at the railway track location. Welding of rails at the railway track location is more difficult to do than welding of rails in the plant.
Operations at our Raigarh plant is executed with the following special systems and equipment to guarantee maximum product integrity:
- Specialized system for flash butt welding into rails of upto 480mtrs length.
- Synchronized monorail hoist system for and handling and loading of long rails.
- Specialized rakes for transfer of long rail panels to site
- No drilling in the rails is necessary for loading & unloading process.
- High security against tilting of trains.
- Deforming strain under admissible limits during handling & transportation
- The testing of welded joints is done at our Raigarh plant itself