Expanding its reach in the domestic market, JSPL has gone ahead to make considerable investments in various parts of Odisha. The company would be investing US $10.00 billion (Rs 50,000 Crore) in the state for steel production and power generation. The proposed steel plant to be set up in Odisha will produce 12.5 MTPA steel in phases and generate 2600 MW of power in phases.
In the first phase, the company is setting up a 6.0 million TPA integrated steel plant at Angul along with a 810 MW of captive power generation facility. The Project is in a fast-track mode, with the Platemill and two units of Power Plant already commissioned, and the other units nearing completion. The Platemill is capable of producing a 5 m wide plate, and this would be the widest plate ever produced in the country.
The Plant is proposed to be established on 5750 acres of land. The project will be utilizing about 93% barren land for setting up of plant facilities. In the second phase, we propose to set up another 6.5 million TPA steel plant and a 1600 MW power generation facility.
The DRI-BF-EAF route technology would be adopted for steel production.
The DRI plant has a unique feature of using Syn Gas from the coal gasification plants as reductant. The DRI-Gasification route is being used for the first time in the world and has the advantage of using high ash coal which is predominantly available in the vicinity of the project site. JSPL has signed an agreement with Lurgi Sasol Technology Company, South Africa, for providing technology for coal gasification.
The major facilities at the plant include:
- The proposed Coal Gasification Technology to be used in this plant offers a practical means of utilizing coal for meeting stringent environmental control requirements.
- JSPL Angul has partnered with several companies of international repute for the purpose of Technology Supply and Key Equipment, Detailed Engineering, Procurement of other Equipment, Construction Phase, Manpower Supply and Project Management Services. More than 350 companies, ranging from the biggest International Players to the regional vendors are partners in our endeavor
- Work is in progress for the establishment of
- Coal Gasification Plant to produce 225,000 Nm3/hr Syn. Gas
- DRI plant of 4.5 million TPA
- 5 m wide Plate Mill of 1.5 MTPA
- 6x135 MW Power plant
- Promotion of small-scale industries in and around Angul by giving adequate support with respect to land, power etc and buying most of their products for their end-use in the plant (like aggregates, bricks etc.)
Environment Protection Measures
JSPL is very much concerned about the impact on environment and has therefore taken adequate measures and adopted the best pollution control norms available in the world. One of the major steps taken towards protecting the environment and reducing soil degradation is the usage of fly ash bricks in place of conventionally used red bricks in all construction activities at the project sites.