Expanding its reach in the domestic market, JSPL has gone ahead to make considerable investments in various parts of Odisha. The company would be investing US$ 6 billion in the state for steel production and power generation. The proposed steel plant to be set up in Odisha will produce 12.5 MTPA steel in phases and generate 2600 MW of power in phases.
In the first phase, the company is setting up a 6 MTPA integrated steel plant at Angul. A 1.5 MTPA Steel Melting Shop has been recently commissioned. The Project is in a fast-track mode, with the 1.2 MTPA Platemill and an 810 MW Captive Power Plant already commissioned. The Platemill is capable of producing 5 m wide plates, making it the widest to be ever produced in the country.
In the second phase, the proposal is to expand another 6.5 MTPA of capacities in the steel plant. JSPL is also setting up a 4.5 MTPA iron ore pelletisation plant, with wet grinding process and superior quality for steel making
The DRI-BF-EAF route technology would be adopted for steel production.
The DRI plant has a unique feature of using Syn Gas from the coal gasification plants as reductant. The DRI-Gasification route is being used for the first time in the world and has the advantage of using high ash coal which is predominantly available in the vicinity of the project site. JSPL has signed an agreement with Lurgi Technology Company, South Africa, for providing technology for coal gasification.
The major facilities at the plant include:
- The proposed Coal Gasification Technology to be used in this plant offers a practical means of utilizing indigenous coal for meeting stringent environmental control requirements.
- Work is in progress for the establishment of:
- Coal Gasification Plant to produce 225,000 Nm3/hr Syn. Gas
- DRI plant of 2 MTPA
- Promotion of small-scale industries in and around Angul by giving adequate support with respect to land, power etc and buying most of their products for their end-use in the plant (like aggregates, bricks etc.)
- The Coal Gasification Plant is in final stages of commissioning and is expected to be ready by end of November 2013. Once ready, this will mark the completion of 1.5 MTPA integrated facilities of the first phase.
- For the next part (4.5 MTPA facilities); further construction and infrastructure development activities related to the Plant, JSPL is in advanced stages of placing orders on reputed parties to supply the plant equipment, machinery etc. Area grading, soil investigation, various other civil jobs are under progress at site.
- JSPL Angul has partnered with several companies of international repute for the purpose of Technology Supply and Key Equipment, Detailed Engineering, Procurement of other Equipment, Construction Phase, Manpower Supply and Project Management Services. More than 350 companies, ranging from the biggest international players to the regional vendors are partners in our endeavor.
Environment Protection Measures
JSPL is very much concerned about the impact on environment and has therefore taken adequate measures and adopted the best pollution control norms available in the world. One of the major steps taken towards protecting the environment and reducing soil degradation is the usage of fly ash bricks in place of conventionally used red bricks in all construction activities at the project sites.