Carrying on with its plans of expansion, JSPL plans to invest US$ 12.00 billion (Rs. 55,000 crore) in the state of Jharkhand for establishing a steel plant of capacity 12 MTPA and a captive power plant with production capacity of 2820 MW in phases.
The company is setting up a 6.0 million TPA steel plant and a 1320 MW captive power plant (CPP) at Patratu, Dist. Dumka and it plans to set up a 6.0 MTPA steel plant and a 1320 MW CPP at Dist. Godda and about 180 MW power plant at Patratu at Asanboni based on process flue gases.
At Patratu, JSPL has taken over the assets of the closed Bihar Alloys & Steel Limited, which is about 40 Kms from Ranchi. Using the available land and adding some more, the company is setting up new steel and power plants. This endeavor would provide gainful employment to a large number of people and aid in the economic and infrastructure development of the area.
The plant facilities for the first phase at Patratu include:
Patratu Project Highlights
- Orders for major technological packages have been finalized and in certain cases orders have been placed.
- In early 2010, the first unit of the steel plant at Patratu, a 0.6 MTPA wire rod mill was commissioned.
- The second unit, the 1.2 MTPA Bar Mill that has been recently inaugurated is designed to produce TMT bars from 8 mm to 40 mm, angles 50 x 50 mm to 90 x 90 mm and plain rounds (forging grade) and RCS.
- The Bar Mill and WRM have provided direct and indirect employment to about 2000 people in the region. The TMT Bars produced from this Mill will be utilized in housing and infrastructural development projects in the State of Jharkhand.
- Jeraldaburu iron ore mines, Jitpur coal block and Amrakonda-Mugadangal coal block allocated.