In the first phase, the company is setting up a 6 MTPA integrated steel plant at Angul. A 2.5 MTPA steel melting shop (SMS) has been commissioned. The project is in a fast-track mode, with the 1.5 MTPA plate mill and an 810 MW captive power plant already commissioned. The plate mill is capable of producing 5 meter wide plates, making it the widest to be ever produced in the country.
The DRI-BF-EAF route technology would be adopted for steel production. The DRI plant has a unique feature of using syn gas from the coal gasification plants as reductant. It is being used for the first time in the world and has the advantage of using high ash coal which is predominantly available in the vicinity of the project site. The company has signed an agreement with Lurgi Technology Company- South Africa, for providing technology for coal gasification.
The major facilities at the plant include:
- The proposed coal gasification technology to be used in this plant offers a practical means of utilising indigenous coal for meeting stringent environmental control requirements.
- Work is in progress for the establishment of:
- Coal gasification plant to produce 225,000 nm3/hr of syn gas
- DRI plant of 2 MTPA capacity
- Promotion of small-scale industries in and around Angul by giving adequate support with respect to land, power and buying most of their products for their end-use in the plant (like aggregates, bricks etc.)
- The coal gasification plant is in final stages of commissioning, this marks the completion of 1.5 MTPA integrated facilities of the first phase.
- For the next phase, further construction and infrastructure development activities are in advanced stages. Area grading, soil investigation and various other civil jobs are under progress at site.
- The company has partnered with several companies of international repute for the purpose of technology supply and key equipment, detailed engineering, procurement of other equipment, construction phase, manpower supply and project management services. More than 350 companies, ranging from the biggest international players to the regional vendors are partners in this endeavour.
Environment Protection Measures
The company is very much concerned about the impact on environment and has therefore taken adequate measures and adopted the best pollution control norms available in the world. One of the major steps taken towards protecting the environment and reducing soil degradation is the usage of fly ash bricks in place of conventionally used red bricks in all construction activities at the project sites.